11. & 12. August 2017
Let’s dive into Coding <3
Rails Girls Berlin want to give total beginners the opportunity and a community to start learning the technology to build their ideas and continue coding.
The Beginners Workshop is a hands on introduction to Rails. The workshop has a main focus on women with no previous Ruby on Rails programming experience and who want to be able to build their own applications. The program of the workshop includes an overview of the Rails framework and a practical exercise in which attendees will be guided by coaches through the application building process.
We provide a completely different learning environment in order to not only support but also further motivate women who want to code, but don’t have the right environment to do so. We also aim to establish a community, so it’s not a once in a life-time event, we want to help women code and encourage them to continue coding.
No previous knowledge is required to attend this workshop.
The first steps of learning how to program can be difficult. Our goal is it to help you with these first steps. We want to show you that programming is fun and creative and that there is a wonderful community that will support you.
We are looking forward to see you <3
Lerne Programmieren <3
Unser Beginners-Workshop steht im Zeichen von Ruby on Rails, mit dessen Hilfe du deine erste kleine Webapplikation erstellen wirst. Es wird in kleinen Gruppen gearbeitet, die von einem Coach geleitet werden. Du kannst und sollst jederzeit Fragen stellen! Abgerundet wird das Programm durch Talks zu verschiedenen Themen rund um das Programmieren.
Es sind keine Vorkenntnisse nötig um teilzunehmen.
Ziel unserer Workshops ist, dir den Einstig in die Welt der Programmierung zu erleichtern und Spass daran zu wecken. Du musst nicht alles direkt verstehen, lass dich nicht entmutigen. Wir von den Rails Girls Berlin möchten dir zeigen, dass es gar nicht so schwer ist, loszulegen und dass es eine tolle Community gibt, die dich bei deinen ersten Schritten unterstützt.
Wir freuen uns auf dich <3
Application Start: July 24th
Application End: August 5th
Confirmation Mails: August 7th
I want to help as a coach!
Please follow this link to register: Register to coach
Location Installation Get-together:
Location Workshop Day:
Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Berlin
Wilhelminenhofstraße 75A, 12459 Berlin
Friday, 11. August – Installation Get-together
|18:30 – 20:30||Installation Get-together
Lerne deine Mitstreiterinnen kennen und installiere in gemütlicher Runde alle notwendigen Programme für den Workshop.
Install all programs for the workshop and say hello to other attendees and coaches
Saturday, 12. August – Workshop Day
|10:00 – 10:30||Coffee & Registration
We are happy to welcome you. You will find your group and coach and make yourself comfortable
|10:30 – 11:00||Welcome
Welcome Talk by Rails Girls Berlin
|11:00 – 13:00||We will get into Ruby with you
We will give you an introduction to webapplication basics
|13:00 – 14:00||Lunch|
|14:00 – 15:00||Lightning Talks|
|15:00 – 18:00||Coding in groups
You will dive into building your first web application. But don’t forget, that your brain needs breaks every once in a while
|18:00||Closing Workshop Day|
Note: This schedule is still to be confirmed. Please check this site again before the day of the workshop.
This section could show your logo. If you are interested in sponsoring this event, please contact us.
- Is this workshop for beginners only? Yes! (if you’re not a complete beginner, look into our code & cake workshops, maybe that’s something for you.)
- I signed up for the event, am I automatically accepted to attend? No, unfortunately not. Since we have limited space, we will have to choose the people accepted to attend. You will get a confirmation mail if you are selected and a rejection or waiting-list email if you’re not. As we have limited space for this event, please do let us know if you can not attend. We can then give the free spot to someone else.
- I am a rails programmer and would like to coach. How can I get in touch? That’s awesome! Please send us an email. We will get in touch with you.
- I’m a guy, can I join as a student as well? Rails Girls Berlin is primarily focused on women*. You can apply and, if there is an empty space, we will contact you.
- How can I prepare for the workshop? You have to install rails. If you have difficulties doing that, please write us. It is important that the installation problems are solved BEFORE the beginning of the workshop, that’s why we always organise an installation get-together before every beginner’s workshop! You can also try ruby with tryruby.org. This is a little tutorial on Ruby, the basis of „Ruby on Rails“. Listen to the little foxes and take it as a game. Enjoy it, take your time and do not worry if you do not understand everything. It is just for you to get some sort of basic feeling for this new and strange language. Most important is to have fun, get intrigued by what you are doing. The rest will come at its own pace. If you have questions you really want to have answered: Write them down and ask your coach on Friday or Saturday.
- What should I bring for the workshop? You will need a laptop (and don’t forget your power cable). If you don’t have one of those, let us know! That way we can try to arrange one for you. We also ask all of you to bring some food for yourself and your new friends to share.